Tuesday 16 July 2019

Printing!

I always found it useful to have something tangible in my hand when trying to solve issues or debugging. I've been known to print out code or game data just to have a condensed overview of what it is I'm working with.

At some point I figured it might actually be useful to be able to print out game data directly from the game editor. It might be even better if the data was formatted in an easy to read way.

So... After a couple of evenings looking through how printing in Java works, and trying out different approaches, finally the Zone Editor has a proper printing feature :)


It prints out the data in a hierarchical way, where definitions which are linked to are shown next to the field they are being linked from. The result looks a bit like YAML, but is only meant for human readability. The actual data is still stored in the form of (customized) JSON.

No comments:

Post a Comment